Two dead in Southern Germany shooting; police arrest suspect

Berlin: An armed man shot two people dead in north Bavaria on Friday and was later captured by two ‘courageous’ mechanics along with a gun, German police reported.


@NewsThisSecond tweeted this image reportedly in Ansbach Photo: @NewsThisSecond

According to the police, the gunman entered a shop and threatened employees with gun where he was overpowered by two ‘courageous’ mechanics, working at a petrol station in Bad Windsheim, after killing the two elderly victims.

“Thanks to the courageous employees of the petrol station, the suspect was able to be stopped,” Joachim Hermann, Bavaria’s interior minister, said during a news conference.

The suspect, from the nearby town of Ansbach named as Bernd G, was detained by police at around 0945 GMT after a four helicopters-manhunt.


Crime scene investigators in Leutershausen, near Ansbach (EPA)

The gunman, 47, shot dead an 82-year old woman from his silver Mercedes convertible in Leutershausen and later a male cyclist, 72, in nearby Rammersdorf.

The suspect also shot a tractor driver, but was unhurt, shortly after he threatened a man with his gun in the Ansbach district in northern Bavaria.

The 82-year old victim, who was preparing for her 50th wedding anniversary this year, exchange a few words with the suspect from a bench before he allegedly shot her in the back as she was getting back down, a witness said to the reporters of Süddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

Following the killing of the elderly woman, the suspect shot dead a cyclist 5km away in Rammersdorf, sparking high alert for both the public and police hunt.

The suspect is currently undergoing psychiatric tests, after which his fate will be decided whether to arrest him or send him to a psychiatric hospital.


People move behind a police barrier marking the crime scene in Leutershausen (EPA)

A senior public prosecutor in Ansbach, Gerhard Neuhof, said that gunman, who was not previously known to police, had no apparent connection with his victims, and that the incident seems to have been a random killing spree.

“We’ve completely investigated about what happened,” Siegfried Hess, mayor of Leutershausen, said during a news conference.

Siegfried Hess said people in the town had been “thrown off the rails” by the incident. He described the incident as “probably the worst crime in the town’s history”.


Leave Comment